 General / 26627
Re: Microsoft and LEGO Company Announce a Shared Dream
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 23:39:00 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jon Kozan writes:
In lugnet.general, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.general, Aaron West writes:
Probably a very good business deal, most likely to ensure the existence of
each, and to move past certain developmental boundaries.  But you can't help
not agreeing with the Bruce man, Dark Side indeed.  Lets just hope that they
share with, rather than manipulate our dear LEGO.

Aw, that'll never happen...this is Microsoft we're talking about.  Everyone
knows that Bill Gates is an angel.

And by the same token,
lets hope that LEGO learns how to fix the mistakes of the last 3 years [yes,
heresy, I know, but you HAVE to have noticed.].
Best wishes, oh you mega-corps.
Aaron

Two words:  Talking Barney.

Perhaps it would be appropriate to ask our Microsoft AFOLs to weigh in on this
- not that they speak officially... but perhps they're closer to the "angel"...
Can we ring Tony Hafner's doorbell on this?

-Jon

Not speaking official in *any* way what-so-ever (see disclaimer at the
bottom in case this is not clear**). I personally have been around Bill
Gates at times and I can say that he is as passionate about his stuff as us
AFOLs are with LEGO. I feel that this is a good relationship for LEGO, with
the technology that LEGO has been trying to get into recently (past years).
Specifically things like computer games and using the computer to work with
a LEGO brick (Mindstorm). Personally as a pure LEGO brick guy (though I do
have one Mindstorm set) I dislike anything that comes between me and my
bricks. Even programs MLCad - it's great and all, but just give me the ABS
and I'm much better off.

There are many ways technology will be good for LEGO on the WEB and related
to computers. Whatever people may think, I don't see this as a pact with the
devil in any way.

My 2 cents as a Microsoft employee.

-Mark

** Disclaimer: The views expressed in no way are related to Microsoft or any
Microsoft owned subsidiary. They are Mark's personal views expressed as such
and no way are meant to represent any view of Microsoft. If this isn't clear
I'll try and find some real legal words. ;)