 General / 26331
Re: Microsoft and LEGO Company Announce a Shared Doom
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 00:20:52 GMT

Microsoft Corp. to Deliver Joint Services and Products with LEGO Company
Enabling Consumers to Explore and Develop Their Creative Potential.

Pardon the pun but, uh..., Holy Smoke!

REDMOND, Wash., and BILLUND, Denmark -- Jan. 10, 2001

"Species 0937:  We are the Billund Gates.  Prepare for assimilation.
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our
own.  Your culture will adapt to service us.  Your life as it has been,
is over.  Freedom is irrelevant.  Resistance is economically infeasible."

Microsoft Corp. and LEGO Company today announced the formation of a
sweeping global alliance that will result in new services and enhanced
products and technologies for consumers around the world. Through joint
efforts, Microsoft and LEGO Company will create stimulating and exciting
experiences by combining digital technology with the famous building bricks.
The synergy between LEGO Company's family content, MSN's word-wide consumer
network, and Microsoft's software and service expertise, provides a unique
business platform to deliver an exciting environment where consumers can
create and explore.

A "sweeping global alliance."  So much for Mac and Linux support.

Microsoft and LEGO Company Forge Ahead
The alliance between Microsoft and LEGO Company will span a multitude of
groups within each company and touch the lives of millions of their
consumers.

My life has been touched enough by Microsoft.  I hope that LEGO will add
good values into the mix.

Consumers can already benefit from the Microsoft and LEGO Company alliance
at MSN Kids channel (http://www.kids.msn.com), where LEGO Company is working
with MSN to deliver creative, new content. In addition, LEGO Company products
are already featured on MSN eShop, the one-stop shopping location on MSN.
Consumers are able to experience the world of LEGO Company in a virtual
environment by exploring MSN Kids channel for the latest LEGO games and
activities as well as purchase the physical products that consumers enjoy
through MSN eShop.

Will I be able to buy LEGO online if I don't run a Microsoft operating system
and don't use a Microsoft web browser?

LEGO Company will adopt Microsoft technologies in its future offerings by
integrating Microsoft Passport for authentication and wallet data -- as well
as the COPPA-compliant Kids Passport -- into the new LEGO.com Web site,

"Species 0937:  You will integrate our proprietary technologies into your
products and services.  Compatibility with other platforms is irrelevant."

On the interactive entertainment front, LEGO Company has been named a
game developer for the new Xbox for gamers of all ages. The company will
also integrate Windows Media into new versions of the successful LEGO
Studios line of moviemaking products.

"Species 0937:  You will integrate our proprietary technologies into your
products and services.  Compatibility with other platforms is irrelevant."

Similarly, LEGO Company will facilitate the integration of
Microsoft .NET services and technologies throughout its global enterprise
network to increase productivity of its users and availability of content,
while reducing total cost of ownership.

I'm sure kids are very concerned about their productivity and about saving
Species 0937 money.

--Todd