 General / 2621
Re: TLG investigation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 07:22:17 GMT

Steve Scott wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the idea.  I'm just playing devil's advocate
on this occasion. :)

Yeah, yeah, sure... I'll betcha you and Todd just cooked up this whole thing
together just to get me all riled up and see how much of a fuss I'll make,
right?  ;)

Seriously though, I was never thinking that TLG would have to police anything.
Rather, the federal governments, which already polices taxation to the extent
that they are able, would hopefully be able to identify people who were trying
to make coorporation-level profits from this.  Of course you'd never be able to
completely stop it... and there'd be a very good chance that, as Todd suggested,
smaller, privately owned toy stores would be able to slip between the cracks.
However, they represent both a population minority and a purchasing power
minority.  I really think arguing about it is a moot issue.

Anyways, the only way I get LEGO right now is if I pay recommended retail
price.  ANYTHING below that would be a plus.  I think that TLG could probably be
motivated to offer discounts to members of an adults' LEGO club in exactly the
same way that the existing kids' LEGO club already does.  I cannot say that I
would like to see "bulk" packages as anything other than larger versions of the
existing LEGO service packs that are already offered through LS@H.  Certainly a
greater of service packs would be a good idea as well though.  The bulk spare
parts packs available from Pitsco (see
http://www.pitsco-legodacta.com/html/spare_parts.html for an example) are the
sort of thing that would likely be all that we can expect to see from TLG at
most.  Unlike Pitsco though, TLG could easily have a greater variety of bulk
spare parts packs.

You know, there is so much potential for a LEGO club, why stay stuck on just
this one issue?  (I know I'm as guilty as anybody, so I'll stop now.)

Mark