 General / 2593
Re: TLG investigation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 23:06:51 GMT

In lugnet.general, markt@lynx.bc.ca (Mark Tarrabain) writes:
Steve Scott wrote:
If I was a Lego retailer, I would object to TLG selling direct to a group
of people who have the means to sub-distribute (via the web) at a profit.
Who's to say that any product sold to RTL'ers won't find it's way back on
to the open market at a profit.

This shouldn't be an issue.  TLG can easily have a requirement of membership
in the club that the goods purchased are not allowed to be sold through any
other mass-marketing channels at a profit.

What would it take for them to police/enforce such a requirement?

Well, for one thing, memberships would only be available to individuals, not
corporations. Although this wouldn't necessarily stop a person from doing this
altogether, it would put a cap on the amount of profit that they would be allowed
to make, since the federal government does not allow individuals to bring in more
than a certain amount of money per year without having to become a licensed
business.

How far does that go toward stopping an individual from buying $25,000 in
bulk bricks and reselling these to a local toystore for $25,250?  (The
profit is only $250 on the transaction.  Not bad for about 1 hour of work.
:-)

Any restriction limiting purchases to individuals only (and not to
corporations) would immediately create a demand for middlemen to launder the
purchases for the corporations.

I don't see how it could be policed or enforced.  Or even detected.

--Todd