 General / 2601
Re: TLG investigation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 23:12:36 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

In lugnet.general, markt@lynx.bc.ca (Mark Tarrabain) writes:
Steve Scott wrote:
If I was a Lego retailer, I would object to TLG selling direct to a group
of people who have the means to sub-distribute (via the web) at a profit.
Who's to say that any product sold to RTL'ers won't find it's way back on
to the open market at a profit.

This shouldn't be an issue.  TLG can easily have a requirement of membership
in the club that the goods purchased are not allowed to be sold through any
other mass-marketing channels at a profit.

What would it take for them to police/enforce such a requirement?

Well, for one thing, memberships would only be available to individuals, not
corporations. Although this wouldn't necessarily stop a person from doing this
altogether, it would put a cap on the amount of profit that they would be allowed
to make, since the federal government does not allow individuals to bring in more
than a certain amount of money per year without having to become a licensed
business.

How far does that go toward stopping an individual from buying $25,000 in
bulk bricks and reselling these to a local toystore for $25,250?  (The
profit is only $250 on the transaction.  Not bad for about 1 hour of work.
:-)

That's only 1% profit.  Who's going to bother spending that kind of money to make so
little?  Further, I would never suggest that TLG charge club members prices that are
below what retailers could get their stuff for.  I, for one, would be quite happy with
a discount falling anywhere between TLG's wholesale price and recommended retail
price.  Thus, it offers no real advantage to people who might want to consider selling
to retailers because retailers can get LEGO cheaper directly from TLG themselves.  It
still offers advantages to people whose primary channel for obtaining LEGO is through
retail outlets (which is most of us).

Any restriction limiting purchases to individuals only (and not to
corporations) would immediately create a demand for middlemen to launder the
purchases for the corporations.

Nope.  The income level of these "middlemen" would exceed the amounts allowed for
private individuals without being corporations.  Anybody who tried to get away with it
anyways would be guilty of tax evasion.  Sure there are people who do it, and some who
even get away with it, but it's still against the law, and if you *DO* get caught...
well... it sure ain't worth it.

I don't see how it could be policed or enforced.  Or even detected.

TLG doesn't have to enforce it.  The government already does.  They don't catch
everybody, but they do catch some.  Do you really want to risk it?

Mark