 General / 24983
Re: Anyone else notice this quote?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.vlc, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 09:29:07 GMT

The most obvious one is that the software will only contain a selection of
bricks from which to design your creation. For example, it might only
contain those bricks that are already available in bulk packs.
So you will be able to design 'any' creation using those bricks.

You're describing a situation that already exists, aside from the fact
that he says the software will be free.  Actually, it is now, assuming
you eat the correct brand of breakfast cereal!

"Any" is a pretty strong word.  I tend to think that there is more to
this than just the current bulk ordering system.

One would assume this is based on Lego Creator. The only real addition to
this would be for it to print off the parts list to mail to Lego. Which is
why I cant understand why it needs to wait till 2002.

Which is exactly my point.  *Something* different is being developed,
and I'm hoping it will be a more efficient Lego Creator (or whatever)
package, and especially, a much more efficient bulk ordering system.

There is really not a lot preventing TLC from being able to sell ANY
number of ANY brick in the inventory.  If price were no object, lego
"piece pickers" (actual people) could go around the bins in the good
'ole Lego warehouse with your order sheet in one hand, and a basket in
another, and assemble your custom order.  Of course, the price for
this would be astronomical.  There are, however, a myriad of
technologies (robotic and other automatic inventory systems) and
systems (effective ordering software, perhaps web-linkable with the
"free" Creator software) that could quite easily be put into place to
make this much more effective.  Will it cost us 10 cents a piece?  I
highly doubt it.  But will it be less expensive than the "Buying sets
to get a couple of pieces" game?  Probably.

Here's hoping.

Robin