 General / 24444
  A curious way in which Lego designs its models

I bought and was putting together the Lego Millennium Falcon the other day, and looking at the large number of pieces laid out on the floor, I noticed something. Lego tried to use as few kinds of pieces as possible, even though the set was a large (...) (24 years ago, 18-Nov-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A curious way in which Lego designs its models

(...) I don't think that it is consistently so. I have example sets (the soccer buses for example) that have the same part in more than one color. However it is a valid observation and I think some explanation can be had if one contemplates what we (...) (24 years ago, 18-Nov-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A curious way in which Lego designs its models

(...) Couldn't just be to make it easier to build? When I noticed this while building the Millennium Falcon, it made it a lot easier to build. For exampe, I could concentrate on a small black piece instead of just a black whatever by whatever piece. (...) (24 years ago, 18-Nov-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A curious way in which Lego designs its models

(...) The designers make a model in one color and then they are built in several different colors and the best one is chosen. Leonardo (24 years ago, 18-Nov-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A curious way in which Lego designs its models

(...) Could be. I never mix all the bags together, though... first thing I do with a large set build is sort everything into related items. Part of the fun. (but I don't WANT it easier to build... :-) ) ++Lar (24 years ago, 18-Nov-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A curious way in which Lego designs its models

(...) This is probably done to cut production costs. If the number of part/colour combinations can be cut to a minimum, the number of "mold sessions" needed for the set will be smaller. You can see the same feature in many recent sets, eg. the AAT, (...) (24 years ago, 18-Nov-00, to lugnet.general)

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:G47zAs.9Jr@lugnet.com... (...) exampe, (...) with (...) Is this a medical condition, maybe, Compartmentalized Dork Syndrome? ;-) I just sort by bag. (...) In one sense, neither do I. (...) (24 years ago, 18-Nov-00, to lugnet.general)

"Paul Davidson" <tinman@direct.ca> wrote in message news:G471yp.H0H@lugnet.com... (...) Just checked the X-wing (small one) that's sitting on my desk, and your theory doesn't hold for that one. (...) Definitely not in Technic sets. At least not the (...) (24 years ago, 18-Nov-00, to lugnet.general)

"Leonardo Zide" <leonardo@centroin.com.br> wrote in message news:G47xxE.72s@lugnet.com... (...) How do you know Leonardo? Have you been to a factory and/or development site? In that case, tell me more about 'how they do it'.... Duq (24 years ago, 18-Nov-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A curious way in which Lego designs its models

(...) Having all of a certain piece in the same colour makes it possible to build a sat with your eyes closed. There's a challenge for you! (24 years ago, 18-Nov-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A curious way in which Lego designs its models

(...) Having all of a certain piece in the same colour makes it possible to build a set with your eyes closed. There's a challenge for you! (24 years ago, 18-Nov-00, to lugnet.general)