 General / 24461
Re: A curious way in which Lego designs its models
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 18 Nov 2000 20:48:17 GMT

In lugnet.general, Paul Davidson writes:
I bought and was putting together the Lego Millennium Falcon the other day,
and looking at the large number of pieces laid out on the floor, I noticed
something.  Lego tried to use as few kinds of pieces as possible, even
though the set was a large and expensive one.  For instance, all the1x2
bricks used were tan.  All the 1x8's were blue.  All the 2x2's were black.
All the 1x3's were dark grey.  All the 1x3 plates were brown.  You get the
idea--not one single piece appeared in more than one colour.

Why do they do this?  It tends to make the model too colourful and silly
looking (half of the above-listed pieces should have been grey!), and
greatly reduces the alternate uses for the pieces.  I.e., having only one
colour of each piece limits what else can be built.  And building a model
around the pieces chosen, instead of choosing pieces to fit the model, seems
like a poor way to design something.

Is this phenomenon consistent in other themes?  When did it start?

And how do they go about designing this into models?  Do the designers
create a nice model which gets passed to the "colour control" department to
make sure 1x2's of one colour only are used?

--

Paul Davidson

Having all of a certain piece in the same colour makes it possible to build a
set with your eyes closed.  There's a challenge for you!