 General / 24393
Re: The Cellulose Acetate Conspiracy!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 18:40:51 GMT

Gary Istok wrote:

A while ago we had a discussion about large Cellulose Acetate plates.  I
made the (erroneous) assumption that the only color large CA plates came
in was white (the waffle bottom plates) and one occurrance of gray, the
1963-65 Architectural series parts packs box 8x11plate with tube
bottoms.

Since that time, things have gotten more confusing.  Now we know that
LEGO also made waffle bottom CA plates.....

(ooops, make that 4x8, not 8x11)

in gray, black and red
(thanks Clark Stephens!!) probably Samsonite, but we can't figure out
from where?.

And then there are those oldest train tracks (blue non-electric) from
circa 1966-67.  The blue track pieces are made of ABS.  But the 2x8
white (tube bottom) plates that are used as the railroad ties are....
CA!  They have that dull finish that earlier white waffle bottom plates
have, and can be found in parts packs #150, #151, etc.  And yet they are
from 1966 and later!  This is years after ABS was introduced.

To muddy up the waters even more, I just got some old CA plates from an
old ESSO Service Station (50's and early 60's).  I know they are
original to this set because they have that hand painted red stripe down
one side of the plate (the red accent along the roofline of the top of
the building).  See LUGNET database:

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/310_5

Well all the CA white plates I received were part of an Esso Station
.... and they all have a tube bottom!!?  The plates are all 4x8, 6x8 and
4x8 right and left curve.  I must have about 50 of the right and left
curve plates (from both sides of the Atlantic), which were only produced
from the 50's to late 60's.  And these new ones are the first ones I've
ever seen without the waffle bottom.

So now it looks like CA was sold to as late as '67 or '68, even though
ABS LEGO came out in '63, and you can find tube bottom plates in CA as
well as ABS, and you can find CA waffle bottom plates in other colors
(from the mid 60's).

I'm so confused........... :-)

Gary Istok

P.S.  Clark, please EMAIL me, I get UNDELIVERABLE when I try to EMAIL
you.