 General / 24175
24174  |  24176
Subject:
Were these Samsonite sets ever sold???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2000 21:19:24 GMT

I always keep an eye out in auctions and other sales for the "Holy
Grail" Samsonite sets that I have been talking about ad nauseum...
they are the Town Plan #725 and Junior Constructor #717  (no surprise
here) produced from 1961-64.  But I am not talking about the sets that
show up from time to time on EBAY etc.  Those are ALWAYS the 1962-64
version (Bill Katz/Joe Lauher website):

http://www.chem.sunysb.edu/msl/LEGO/60s_e2.jpg

No, what I am talking about are the earlier 1961 versions -- the Town
Plan box is hidden, but the picture is the same as on the Town Plan
Board above it, and also the same picture as on the European Town Plan
(#810):

http://www.chem.sunysb.edu/msl/LEGO/60s_d2.jpg

I have never seen these in any auction/sale, nor do I recall ever seeing
them in any Toy Store as a child (I was 8 in 1961, and went to a
neighborhood toystore in Detroit almost weekly).  I am starting to think
that perhaps these were never produced, except in the catalog.  Maybe
the later version are the only ones ever produced.

As an incentive to snake one out somewhere, if they do exist, I am
offering $10 cash (each) to anyone who can post pictures of these 2 sets
(must include the inside of the box, and inside box top --- where the
instructions are).  The Town Plan is probably the identical twin of the
810 European set, but the Junior Constructor is Unique to the
USA/Canada.  I have the 1962 Canadian Samsonite catalog, and it too
shows these same earlier sets.  But I just have never seen them or heard
of anyone who has them.

Anyway, my offer stands.

Gary Istok