 General / 24137
Re: Where is the webring when I need it...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 17:15:54 GMT

In lugnet.general, Grant Macmillan writes:
Can somebody tell me when the Legomaniac's webring will be finally on
LUGNET? I need it sooooooo bad to get visitors for my site (
http://www.angelfire.com/wa2/legowars2000/home.html )!!

Thanks!

Just as a piece of advice...

A long time ago there was a game called "LegoWars", written by Todd Ogrin and
Some Other Guy Whose Name I Can Never Remember.  I downloaded it off a.t.l and
tried to get some of my college buddies to play, but although we'd sit around
an laugh at the rules, no one (other than I) had anywhere near enough men to
play, and there were some other flaws with it, blah blah blah.

Anyway, in the fullness of time, LEGO contacted the authors and basically told
them that if they didn't stop using the word "LEGO" in the name of the game,
LEGO was going to sue their pants right off, fill them with bricks, and make
them wear them.  Because, of course, despite disclaimers that the game had no
affiliation with LEGO, LEGO was worried about the ultra-violence in the game
clashing with LEGO's corporate image, where pirates carry muskets but never
shoot them, and knights' swords are strictly for display only.

Todd and Some Other Guy eventually stopped updating and revising LegoWars, and
eventually the mantle was picked up by Mike Rayhawk, who revised it even
further and turned it into BrikWars (note the lack of "Lego" in the name).

My only point is that eventually, you might find yourself in trouble with LEGO.
It might be easier to pick another name now, while you apparently have few
visitors, then to try and change it later.

I'm not saying that LEGO would be right, mind you, just that they have a whole
Legal *Department* and, unless you're family is involved in La Cosa Nostra, I
doubt you do.

So, anyway, just some friendly advice.

eric