 General / 24110
Re: Blue Dolphin Bummer!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 23:32:49 GMT

In lugnet.general, Tom Reed writes:
I just got one of those new clocks with the translucent blue dolphin from
lego Shop At Home.  I've been wanting one of those blue dolphins for some
time.  Well, I'm really bummed out because the hole in the bottom of the
dolphin is too small to fit on a brick.  I don't know if it is because the
dolphin shrunk in manufacturing or maybe it got too hot in a warehouse.  It
doesn't appear to be warped.  The only way I know to mount it is to trim a
brick to fit.  If I attempted to trim the dolphin, it would destroy the
translucent look.
I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem.  I know Frank Filz got
one recently.  Did anyone else?
What do you think I should do?  I'm tempted to call S@H and request them to
send another dolphin. hehheh  I wouldn't mind having another even if it was
warped too.  Any suggestions?

I just checked my dolphins. Both my trans blue ones won't fit on studs (I
bought one of those Scala sets last year to get one). I notice that there's
apparently a mold insert or something (look on the bottom closely, you'll see a
slight indentation for a wider hole), so it's not warping or anything like
that. My guess is that the different characteristics of the translucent plastic
(it definitely doesn't have the same feel as regular bricks, it seems
"harder"), require slightly thicker parts or something, or maybe they found
that the trans blue dolphins would shatter if you tried to put them on studs,
so they just made it so you couldn't.

In any case, I don't think you'll be able to get a trans blue dolphin which
will fit on studs.

Frank