 General / 24074
24073  |  24075
Subject:
Beating a dead horse...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 17:01:10 GMT

As far as the "NEW" Statue of Liberty color is concerned, I think we
should call it whatever Lego ends up calling it when they more widely
produce the color (which appears to be showing up in Life on Mars
already, right?). It amazes me how many posts have been sent up about
naming this color. I downloaded 117 new headers in this group this
morning at work, after two days away, and over 50% of them had to with
the "new color."

The majority of the remainder had to do with Juniorization and the fact
that LEGO is going downhill, has been going downhill for years, and will
never get out of this landslide downhill slope because of reason X, Y
and Z. I've tended to stay out of the forefront of the argu-I mean
discussions regarding company policy, and Juniorization and the like,
because I've wanted to get a feel for how people discuss topics here on
LugNet and what they truly consider important (whether it is actual
discussion and suggestions for fixing things, or just to vent.) I'm glad
to find that most people want to discuss and make suggestions on how to
fix things from the viewpoint of a consumer of the Lego companies
products, but I'm still a bit sad to see how much complaining goes on
over each and every little unsubstantiated thing.

Take, for instance, this new 2001 catalogue coming out of Germany. The
prophets of doom are already de-crying the fall of Lego, and people are
actually thinking of switching to a new hobby because of a couple of
pictures posted on the internet, of what is obviously not a complete
2001 catalogue? (Harry Potter's supposed to be out in 2001, right?
Where's the pictures for that line?) It just makes me laugh, because
I've seen the same thing happen in the past with the Magic the Gathering
card game.

Every time a new expansion was released by Wizards of the Coast, the
newsgroups were alive and abuzz declaring that this was the end. The end
of Magic, the end of casual play, the end of this, the end of that, yet
now, even five years later, WOTC is still cranking out expansions like
mad, and organized/tournament play is going strong, and new life is
being breathed into the product at every turn. If a company that was
started in the early 80's hasn't sunk (going against countless HOPELESS
predictions made time and time again) yet, what makes anyone here think
that a company started in 1932 is going to just slowly slip away through
Juniorization?

As far as new parts and less and less general pieces coming out of the
company now, have any of you stopped to think for just a moment about
the HUGE variety of parts and pieces already out there? There's myriad
places to go to find the pieces and parts you want. Why does it HAVE to
come from Lego. Why does Lego have to rerelease any of their older sets
that have been discontinued for whatever irrelevant reason? And WHY,
with all the talent and and skills showcased on LugNet EVERY day, do we
even need Lego to design new sets for us? The work done by any number of
the people I've seen here on LugNet far outweighs sets cranked out by
Lego in recent years, let alone the late 80's and early 90's!

What I'm saying, is we, as AFOL's, and LugNetters, should spend more of
our efforts on building with what we have, and enjoying the toy that
brought all of us together, rather than wasting our energies on
bemoaning the fact that Lego isn't giving us exactly what we want, right
at this moment. And to that end, I'm going to EBay to find some more
BURP's.

Matt Brooks