 General / 24126
24125  |  24127
Subject:
Goodness of predesigned sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 05:42:22 GMT

In lugnet.general, Richard Marchetti writes:
If they will make the elements available, I don't care if they sell another
pre-designed set or not.

The value of predesigned sets are in the skills you learn by assembling them.
I'm not saying all sets are created equal...

My current box canyon: The stuff I build is really thick and chewy. Large, and
interlocked tightly. Lately it's overdetailed, with a definite lack of
modularity, trying to imitate the real world but failing to stake out its own
system of heights and width ratios like so many Lego town models have. This
tends to make me nostalgic for original Town which had economy.

If you analyzed my creations inch by inch you'd find one or two neat tricks,
with lots of brick bulk around them, trying to make a pretty exterior. Hardly
recommended for learning builders.

Anyway, it would be a real shame if Lego did not continue to patronize set
design on its own workforce. But then contests like Todd's classic space might
end up awakening us to the pursuit of those set-like qualities. I know it made
me think about them.