 General / 22975
Re: Letters & Numbers?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 19:59:20 GMT

I never noticed this before, but it looks really cool! Check out the catalog of
accessories at http://www.constructiontoys.com ... looks like each
letter/number/sign is on a separate 1x1 white tile! Pretty cool! Here's the
description they give:

9816: LEGO® Numbers & Letters
NEW!   Includes 210 international capital letters and 66 numbers and math
signs.
276 pieces.
$42.75

Have I just never seen this set before, or is it really a new thing?

DaveE

David Eaton wrote:

In lugnet.general, James Brown writes:
There was some discussion about those a while ago, and they're much larger
than 1x1 - try 2x2 Duplo. (4x4 system?)

This makes them much less useful for us minifig builders.

Doh! Oh well... looking at the picture quickly, they looked like they could be
1x1 tiles... but after some closer inspection, yeah, they look a bit thick to
be tiles... Oh well... woulda been nice [sigh!]... I guess you could use 'em
for... uh... billboards... But that's probably about it if they're 4x4 in
system bricks! Even store signs don't usually have lettering that's more than 4
and a half feet wide per letter!

DaveE

This is an old thread, but I bet that these letters do make great tall vertical
Marquee's (theater signs) that usually can be found in old American/Canadian movie
theaters from the 1920's-50's.  These tall signs that were freestanding (but
connected at different floors to the theater building.  There are still a lot of
old large signs (such as "FOX", "CAPITOL", "STATE", "PARAMOUNT", "LOEW'S", "GRAND",
"ORPHEUM", "PANTAGES",  "PARADISE", "BIJOU", "WARNER", "ROXY", "EASTOWN", "UPTOWN",
etc) to be found throughout North America.

The Fox Theater (largest movie palace in the USA) in Detroit has a FOX sign that
is nearly 10 stories tall along the side of the Fox Building (Little Caesar's Pizza
World Headquarters).  Check it out:

http://www.sos.state.mi.us/history/preserve/phissite/foxtheat.html

So these large letters do have a limited use, but I think they will be great as
theater marquee's.  I guess I'll have to get a set, since I am building a Theater
District in my LEGO city, that incorporates theaters into office buildings, a
common practice in most survivng downtown theaters.

Gary Istok
Also a member of the Theater Historical Society (THS).