 General / 22852
Re: Aging pieces with printing and logos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 7 Oct 2000 21:04:06 GMT

In lugnet.general, Joakim Olsson writes:
I'm amazed that my old shell, taxi, police, lego, legoland and the 1*4
headlight picese look really good after 25 years...
Hey, even the 2*4 yellow spirit of st loiuse piece looks good considering
it's only a sticker.

My old space pieces with logos and the minifig torsos does not look good at
all, after only 15 yers.

Anyone with intresting theories or some other knowledge about it? Some of
the pieces do have stuff "pressed" in to the plastic and therefore lasts
longer. But the shell pieces do have regular printing as of today.
(Even the stickers from the 80,s does not look as good after a couple of
years as the old ones...)
Why?

Obviously the bricks with "engraved" lettering have a better chance of lasting
a long time since the "engraving" protects the paint. On the other hand, I
think these bricks are just painted with normal paint. The newer way that TLC
does painting I think actually gets the paint to work its way into the plastic,
but this is only a thin penetration since you can polish it off, but it
prevents the paint from just flaking off.

I wonder if your space pieces had a lot more handling. I'd certainly suspect
that of the minifigs.

I have certainly seen some pretty old stickers in perfectly good condition. I
suspect that so long at the pieces are kept in such a way that they didn't get
too much shuffling against each other, that the stickers can last quite a
while.

Frank