 General / 22765
Re: Parts Question about the Super Street Sensation...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 17:32:02 GMT

Many thanks, Bianca - this gives me a much better idea of their (un)
suitability to my application.

BTW: since they are indeed pnuematic, why does the catalog describe them as
hydraulic - idiot ad writer maybe??

-Derick

In lugnet.general, Bianca Nebab writes:

"Derick Bulkley" <Derick@derick.com> wrote in message • news:G1w2t8.n32@lugnet.com...
D.M.Garcia,

thanks for your reply - i have some follow-up questions.

(Please forgive my use of pnuematic below, when in fact I meant hydraulic.)

Actually, pneumatic isn't technically inaccurate.  The cylinder uses air • pressure to
slow the rate of extension of the piston.

In lugnet.general, Damian Garcia writes:

"Derick Bulkley" <Derick@derick.com> wrote in message
Regarding the pnuematic cylinder:
how many are included in this set?
2 (4 if you include the replacements that will be required)

I don't understand the reference to replacements...

The early lots of this set came with defective cylinders in which the plastic • holding
the spring cracked under the pressure of the coiled spring when the cylinder • was in
the tense position.  LEGO CS replaces them if they do break down.  I have 2 • 8448s.
The cylinders of the first one I bought when the set first came out (10/99 in • NJ,
USA) failed about 6 months after I assembled the set and both had to be • replaced,
thus, the "4 if you include the replacements" D.M. referred to.  I used the • cylinders
from the second set I bought a few months later as replacements.  These are • still
okay, though I haven't checked them lately.  Looking at the broken down ones • and how
the plastic virtually disintegrated rather than really cleanly cracked, I am
wondering if part of the problem was the grease they used inside the air • chamber
reacting with whatever kind of plastic they used for the first lots.  The new • ones
don't look much different than the old ones from a design standpoint, but • perhaps
they thickened the plastic where it broke down earlier.  Anyway, so far, so • good,
though I'm going to wait 8 months with the second set before I consider them
non-faulty.

Is the part contained in any other sets?
Several others: Okay, 2 that I can think of...

And they would be...?

8446, 8445

What is the action like - does it simply provide consistent resistance to
motion in either direction (compression and extension)?
It is designed for extension.  It will compress as fast as you can squeeze
it, but it extends slowly.  Think of it as a slow moving shock.

When fully extended, does it exert a pressure to re-compress?

No.  The tension is one-way (to extend).

I am considering their value in a current project, in which a large • structure
must be dampened because a tendency to rock.
If shocks don't work, I don't see how the pneumatic cylinders will.

That is why I am asking how they work.

The spring supplies the tension that makes extension the natural position of • the
part.  You have to compress the piston manually.  Once you release it, the • pneumatic
chamber has a suction end that slows the rate of extension.  From what you've
mentioned, it sounds like old-fashioned shock absorbers should work as well • as these
"hydraulic" pistons would, unless you really need the recoil from the • dampening to be
slowed.  If you'd like, I can email you a scan of one of my broken cylinders • (a 22K
jpg).  You can figure out its operation by looking at it, as well as see the • design
flaw of the first ones released.  Let me know.

HTH,
binky

regards,

derick