 General / 22330
Re: LEGO Quality Control?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 02:08:34 GMT

BrianC wrote:

Well, I suppose it's time to give up my status as a lurker (primarily in space
and building.mecha) and post my first message to lugnet.

The good news is that, after a long hiatus, I have recently rediscovered how
much I enjoy Lego.  I dug out my childhood collection, and have been buying a
few of the newer sets here and there to expand.  I've also become much more
anal since my childhood, and so have undertaken the task of organizing and
storing them.

I recently bought 5 Star Wars sets from eToys, including an X-wing (non-UCS--
got the UCS a few months back), two droid fighters, a snowspeeder, and
Anakin's podracer.  They are all nice sets, but the bad thing is that two of
the sets had serious problems.

One long brown wing/leg pieces in one of the droid fighter sets was bent.  The
box the set came in was in perfect condition--only the piece was damaged.  And
the X-wing came with 4 wings for the left side instead of 2 left and 2 right!

This is an easy mistake to make. If they are still doing things the way they did
a few years ago the wings are being packed manually. That means a person is
sitting in front of five bins, three of them are baggies, one is the right wing
bin, and the last bin is the left wing bin. If distracted, it is easy to forget
whether or not you just added two right or two lefts. Since the wings weigh the
same the scales will not kick out the defect.

The bent leg is another tough one to catch. What I am concerned about is the
color matching, and fit of bricks. I have been building with bricks that are at
most 2 years old, and I noticed that my yellow bricks are not all the same
color. Same with the whites. Even worse, I have notice that the bricks do not
stay together well. I built a white container (a box) for my trains, and the
bricks do not stay together. They all separate from each other by a bit.

Chris

I could understand a damaged piece if the box was also damaged (during
shipping, etc.), but 4 left wings?  Also, to have two sets with problems in
the same shipment seems highly unlikely.  Maybe I am just unlucky, but I sure
hope TLG's quality control hasn't gone as far south as this latest shipment
would imply.  Has anyone else had experiences like this recently?

Anyway, that won't stop me from getting back into it.  I've already started a
few smallish MOCs to get get my hands dirty ... and so:

"Hello, my name is Brian.  I am 27 years old, and I love my Lego."

PGP public key available upon request.