 General / 22205
Re: LEGO Quality Control?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 16:51:34 GMT

In lugnet.general, Brian Cavalier writes:
Well, I suppose it's time to give up my status as a lurker (primarily in space
and building.mecha) and post my first message to lugnet.

The good news is that, after a long hiatus, I have recently rediscovered how
much I enjoy Lego.  I dug out my childhood collection, and have been buying a
few of the newer sets here and there to expand.  I've also become much more
anal since my childhood, and so have undertaken the task of organizing and
storing them.

I recently bought 5 Star Wars sets from eToys, including an X-wing (non-UCS--
got the UCS a few months back), two droid fighters, a snowspeeder, and
Anakin's podracer.  They are all nice sets, but the bad thing is that two of
the sets had serious problems.

One long brown wing/leg pieces in one of the droid fighter sets was bent.  The
box the set came in was in perfect condition--only the piece was damaged.  And
the X-wing came with 4 wings for the left side instead of 2 left and 2 right!

I could understand a damaged piece if the box was also damaged (during
shipping, etc.), but 4 left wings?  Also, to have two sets with problems in
the same shipment seems highly unlikely.  Maybe I am just unlucky, but I sure
hope TLG's quality control hasn't gone as far south as this latest shipment
would imply.  Has anyone else had experiences like this recently?

About a year ago I purchased a returned x-wing at my local TRU for less than 10
bucks Canadian with the very same problem. At least I knew what I was getting.
:-) The set was mostly built before the error was discovered, that would suck
for the person all excited to build the set to discover that at the end.

I would suggest you call LEGO at the non-S@H number and get them to replace the
parts, they have always been good to replace problems I have had. Still it is
too bad they prefer to fix the barn door after the horses leave :-(

Anyway, that won't stop me from getting back into it.

Good for you, I am glad to see that LEGO has not turned you off of LEGO. :-)

I've already started a
few smallish MOCs to get get my hands dirty ... and so:

Go for it!!!

"Hello, my name is Brian.  I am 27 years old, and I love my Lego."

Sorry Brian, the only twelve steps you will get here are building instructions
:-P

Jude

Imagine the traffic Todd would get if he added lugnet.lego.complaints?!?