 General / 22231
Re: LEGO Studios camera?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 21:33:59 GMT

In lugnet.general, Ben Gatrelle writes:
I guess the LEGO Studios movie maker <set:1349> is shipping October 1st
according to S@H.  Does anyone know if the camera is the same as in the Vision
Command set? It looks the same just a different color housing.  Are there any
reviews out there for this camera? How well does it take close ups, single
frame still shots?  Anyone?

BEN GATRELLE
(remove the spam dot from the yellowcastle to reply.)

I posted a mini-review of Vision Command a few weeks back:

     http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=21142

But if you search the newsgroups for "Vision Command" you'll find a lot of
other postings about this system.

It definitely looks like the same camera is used in both products.  It looks
like the added cost of Movie Maker is in the software, which appears to be
more geared toward making short movies than toward image processing, as Vision
Command is.  (I'd be interested to hear if the Movie Maker software will
support stop-action photography, and if so, if the software will be sold
separately for owners of Vision Command.)

The VC camera does pretty well taking still shots.  The maximum resolution is
640x480, and the color is not bad as long as you've got enough light when you
take the shot.  (There is no flash in this camera.)  You can manually focus
the camera for everything from long shots to close-ups, although there's not
really a "macro" mode for taking super-close shots of small items.

I took some sample pictures back when I posted my original review to show the
quality of the images that you get from this camera.  I'll have to dig them up
and finally post them...