 General / 2202
Re: Story about Lego on NPR's Morning Edition
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 23:12:48 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

"Selçuk " wrote:

Alex Wetmore wrote:

Today's episode of Morning Edition had a story about Lego laying off folks
during the business news part of the show.  It should be available via
RealAudio at http://www.npr.org this afternoon.

I didn't hear all of it, but they were mentioning that Lego wanted to expand
into the Asian market, but analysts didn't know if this would work too well
because Lego knockoffs are available there for less money.

alex

Maybe the way to go is pricing them considering the "purchasing power" of the
individual countries. Software companies done that in turkey, and works well
againist piracy. It's awful paying 10-20% more for the same lego set while
earning 1/5 of a US wage, for the same carrier.

That probably won't happen, because if it did, a grey market would
quickly spring up. I certainly would have no qualms about making a
certain Turk (1) very rich if it meant I could get sets for far less
than retail with a little "smuggling". (2)

1 - that would be you, Sel.

You could have been pretty right about that, considering I'm the only Turk here,
but wrong about me. I'm not a "trader" type of man. I never wanted to face the
hassle of the whole thing for an additional amount(1). I had some occasions
during the recent past(2) and I only offered to send them to who wanted, for
only the retail+shipment, i.e. the amount spent by me. I had some very nice
people from US and UK, who sent me the sets that I wanted without profit, they
even trusted to me such that they sent the sets before the money arrived,
starting from the very first.

Things will go like this on my side till to the end. Lego is a "toy" and not a
trade(3) item for me, and will be forever, providing that I would not be a toy
seller in my future life. If that would have been the case, It could not go the
way as you presume. I'm sure they would be marketed as "not for export" or "for
use in Turkey only" so you could not sell them to the foreign countries, and I
assume you also couldn't sent too much(4) packages by marking them as
"gift"(5).

(1) Although I could withstand all that hassle for a friendly
    "thanks!"..:-).

(2) Found some discontinued sets, regular Turkish price - approx. 10-20%
    higher than regular US prices.

(3) i.e. something to make profit in cash. I don't mean exchanging lego
    material with other fans.

(4) Enough to make a considerable profit as a toy store owner.

(5) Turkish postal service regulations don't require a "green label"
    like many other countries have. Only regulation is you have to
    package the contents at the postal office, I mean the officer MUST
    see the contents before they are packaged..:-) Sounds stupid?..
    I know..:-).

2 - and let us face it, marking a set as "gift" when you mail it if the
recepient paid you for it is smuggling. (3)

Call it smuggling if you want, but we have our own living conditions. As being a
hired worker (i.e. not having own job, but having a boss) more than 30% of our
wages directly cut by government monthly as tax, even before I received it. At
the end of the year it can go sa high as 45%. And this not includes the other
additional stupid taxes, from VAT (15% to 25%, depends on the good type) to
"cleaning tax", "TV tax", "car tax", and the like. A rough estimate shows that
more than 70% percent of my sallary goes to government as tax. And I must still
pay tremendous amounts for health, education, any state service, highways,
utilities, municipality services and much much more. And still I didn't add the
obligatory "donations" charged by the same government whenever you need a state
service, from celular phone bills to passport application.

They always take and never give. Worse, I'm paying much more than the "job
owners", not in percentage, in quantity. An average jewellery seller or a
private doctor paid less than half of mine last year. As long as the government
won't make a tax revolution to prevent this inconsistency, I don't care if
anybody calls it snuggling or not.

Selçuk