 General / 21094
Re: Lego Measurements?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.build
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 21:03:05 GMT

Jeff Elliott <jeffe@telepres.com> wrote in message
news:399AE564.46E7C23A@telepres.com...
Hi Rob!

Lots of debate on this one, mostly 'cuz minifigs are so disproportionate
-
they're quite wide for their height.

Minifigs are 4 bricks + 1 plate tall, without neckwear.  That's 4.16 cm.
I horizontal measurement, that's 5.2 studs wide.  So, here are some
possible conclusions:

* minifigs are 180cm (5'11") tall in scale, and it's 2.9 studs per
metre.
* minifigs are 150cm (4'11") tall in scale, and it's 3.5 studs per
metre.

Most people pick a figure near 3 studs per metre. 1 stud = 1 foot is not
a bad simple measurement.

Note that this makes a minifig nearly a metre wide - that's why they
seem
disproportionate.

Jeff Elliott

Having met many AFOLs, I would say that minifigs could be scale
representations of some...

I personally use 1 stud = 1.25 feet and I build to a larger "scale" than
most.  For Lego's normal fare, I would say 1 stud = 1.5 feet.  Figure that a
train being 6 studs wide should be 10', which is 1.67' per stud and a car at
four studs should be 6 feet, which is 1.5' per stud.

I challenge people to not build with minifigs at all and make a model an
actual 1 stud = 1 foot.  Avoid using the specialized pieces when possible
while building.  When done, put a minifig in and see how wrong it looks in
reference to all the other Lego models you have sitting around.  Use
1.5'/stud for most things and you won't go wrong mixing and matching with
Lego's sets.  Build to a larger scale and you won't be able to mix in Lego's
sets very easily.

Mike Poindexter