 General / 20912
Re: Pricing on Lego Sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2000 16:20:39 GMT

Ian Sinclair <sinclair@cadvision.com> wrote in message
news:398cef65.194772735@mail.cadvision.com...
[...SNIP...]
We consumers all recognize the great play value in LEGO sets;
especially when you or your child has a good size collection.

However, getting to that point has become prohibitively expensive for
so many families.

While the LEGO sets have value, that value has been greatly eroded in
the past years by shrinking disposable income for so many, increased
set cost, and reduced set piece counts.

Is LEGO today at full retail prices a good bargain?

I'm not so sure anymore...  What about you and the parents you know?

<ICS>

Back in 1980, I was on a business trip with my parents in Hartford, CT.  I
guess I had been bugging my mom to buy me a set and was being a pain in the
backside, because she bought me an X-1 Patrol Craft for something like
$3.00.  For the rest of that trip, all I did was play with that set.  With a
grand total of 53 pieces, I can remember making 100 or so different MOCs.
Looking back, that was GOOD PLAY VALUE.

Any juniorized set today can not even come close to matching that kind of
play value.  Until Lego recognizes the importance of play value to
consumers, I fear that they will continue to lose market share, both to
other brands and to other toys (video games, etc.).  I get the feeling that
most parents WANT to buy a quality product like Lego, but the price often
pushes them away.

Juniorization and licenses will get Lego the initial sale.  The real
profits, however, are made with repeat business.  If the initial purchase is
unsatisfying, there will not be a subsequent purchase.

Tim

PS  re: Lego prices in Australia vs. the US.  I sympathize with the prices
you all have to deal with.  However, just because the U.S pays less, does
not mean that said lesser amount is a good value.  Something for Lego to
think about... if a lot of Lego product is no longer a good value in the US,
what does that say about the value in other, more expensive markets?