 General / 20911
Re: Clearence deals
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2000 09:17:07 GMT

First. Thanks for all the compliments.

Cool site!  I've bookmarked it, and will include a look there (along with the
various coupon sites) before buying stuff online from now on.

A suggestion, though: how about offering to sort the list in different ways?
Specifically, I would like to see where the BEST deals are, so add a 'sort
by "% off" discount', and secondly, I would like to see when a set is offered
by more than one store, so also add 'sort by "set #" '.

About the ability to sort. I really want to do this, but it's not that easy.
This would require databasing the site. Not that I am opposed to it, I just
don't know how. The one solution that I have been able to find on the web is
FindItList.
http://www.doubleologic.com/fildemo.html
But it has it's limitations. First, I can only have one URL per set. Meaning
only linking to the sale and not being able to link to the information page on
the set. Also it is limited to 5 fields. And it actually costs money. It is
also Java, so it's not going to work on everyone's machine.

Finally, have you seen the site: http://isbn.nu/ ?  They find the best prices
for books sold online.  (And saved me over $30 already!  And that was just on
one purchase!  Okay, it was an expensive book, but I sure appreciated the
savings!)  It would be cool if you offered a similar idea just for LEGO.  I
don't know how much work would go into something like this, but there aren't
*that* many toy retailers, much less ones that sell LEGO.  And the ones that
do sell LEGO online never seem to have a huge number of different sets that
they offer.

I do do this to an extent. I don't know if you saw the set pages but I list
all currently available Lego sets along with basic information on those sets
and then both show the prices these are available at and also link to the
exact page for the set on Amazon, KB Kids, and eToys. More retailers coming
soon:
http://xezol.hispeed.com/sets.html
There are currently 4 ways to look for sets.

By the by these three have around a 100 sets each. That's 300 links to create
and keep track of. And I am trying to add more everyday, it is a huge task.

Again, thanks for the comments. You are the first person to actually give me
some feedback on the site which is greatly appreciated.

Charles Adams
http://xezol.hispeed.com/

--
David Schilling