 General / 20913
Re: Pricing on Lego Sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2000 16:37:15 GMT

In lugnet.general, Timothy D. Freshly writes:
We consumers all recognize the great play value in LEGO sets;
especially when you or your child has a good size collection.

However, getting to that point has become prohibitively expensive for
so many families.

Back in 1980, I was on a business trip with my parents in Hartford, CT.  I
guess I had been bugging my mom to buy me a set and was being a pain in the
backside, because she bought me an X-1 Patrol Craft for something like
$3.00.  For the rest of that trip, all I did was play with that set.  With a
grand total of 53 pieces, I can remember making 100 or so different MOCs.
Looking back, that was GOOD PLAY VALUE.

Any juniorized set today can not even come close to matching that kind of
play value.  Until Lego recognizes the importance of play value to
consumers, <snip>

I think what you mean here is that until The LEGO Group redefines "play value"
to what you want it to mean, or what you think it means, they have not
recognized the importance of play value.  But play value is all TLG talks
about. Read their product literature.  For you and me (almost 30 years old)
the classic space sets that we grew up on had lots of "play value" because the
pieces were less "juniorized" and we had more creative control over what we
built. TLG's tag line in much of that literature is "Just Imagine..."  which I
think we both agree is harder do no now than mid to late 70's when they had
less specialized pieces. Of course what we consider great is "juniroized" by
classic classic collectors like Gary Istok who remember fondly the pre-minifig
era when it really took imagination to build things.

BEN GATRELLE