 General / 20893
Re: Censors / information
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 23:28:45 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jason Rowoldt writes:
Sure is a lot of deletion of posts going on lately.  I thought the whole idea
of a private site was that it was not affiliated or endorsed by TLG.  This • give
you freedom to say things they would not agree with.

This week, (the catalog issue in particular, and the removal of said
information from this site and others) there seems to be a lot of "cancelling"
going on.

What other sites?

I understand the the want to stay in good relations with TLG, but what can • they
do?  That was not a trade secret or a patent or a copyright.  Just some info.
Not even really valuable info.  Does TLG think Tyco is going to jump in and
whip up sets to compete with them in a few months?  Not bloody likely.

No offense, but that's the whole advantage of an indie site.

I also think . . . (cancelled)

There is no such thing as a true "indie" site in the modern corpratist world.
True "Indie" sites get sued out of existence. Look at the recent Apple
disclosure mess.  Companies (right or wrong) take this kind of thing very
seriously.  If Todd had not nuked the posts, he would have risked everything
he as put into Lugnet and much more.  OTOH, he might have anticipated that
posting of prices and model descriptions months before release would cause
problems and nuked it on his own accord.

KL