 General / 20891
Re: Censors / information
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 23:13:00 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jason Rowoldt writes:
Sure is a lot of deletion of posts going on lately.  I thought the whole
idea of a private site was that it was not affiliated or endorsed by TLG.

That's correct.

This give you freedom to say things they would not agree with.

You can say whatever you like -- but if you post something that infringes on
someone's privacy rights and they make a legal request that it be removed,
it has to be removed.

This week, (the catalog issue in particular, and the removal of said
information from this site and others) there seems to be a lot of
"cancelling" going on.

yes, indeed.  I don't know about other sites but you can read more about the
legal request LEGO made here:

   http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=530
   http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=533

I understand the the want to stay in good relations with TLG, but what can
they do? That was not a trade secret or a patent or a copyright.  Just some
info.

I don't think you should assume that it wasn't a trade secret.  To be sure,
both BradJ and LSI Legal have said that this was confidential information not
to be disclosed to the public.

Not even really valuable info.  Does TLG think Tyco is going to jump in and
whip up sets to compete with them in a few months?  Not bloody likely.

The newsgroup lugnet.lego.direct has been set up for various purposes.  One
purpose is so that you can ask questions like this directly to LEGO.  You
might not get a direct response, but they will see it.  I would think they
have quite a few reasons for concern, not just competitors.  You can always
ask rather than speculating.

No offense, but that's the whole advantage of an indie site.

None taken.  And while that's true to a large extent, it's certainly not true
unequivocally.

For example, if some person A out there posted a copy of copyrighted lyrics
to a song by some person B out there, and person B objected on legal grounds
and called for the removal of the infringing message, it would be any admin's
obligation to remove the infringing message within a reasonable amount of time
after having been notified of the infringement.

Just because some site is an indie site doesn't mean that everyone's IP rights
are gone to hell.  For that you need Usenet or Freenet or Gnutella or Napster
or any number of other alternatives which are popping up all the time.

--Todd