 General / 20610
Re: another LEGO Mosaic
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 13:59:53 GMT

John Gramley wrote:

Mine was a lot of fun to put together, too.  Error diffusion definitely takes
longer.  My mosaic is about the same height, but about 19" wide.  It took me
four evenings (about four hours each) and two days (about five hours each).  A
lot of work but definitely worth the effort.

Just curious did you do anything special to help hold it together, or did the
colored areas work out well enough not to need extraordianry measures?

I can imagine the error diffusion would.  I'd say that from beginning to end it
only took about 5 hours, tops, but I loved every minute!

As for its structural aspects, I didn't really do anything special.  It's two
studs thick, and I took the necessary precautions to make sure that seams between
levels don't line up.  Wherever possible I used larger rather than smaller
bricks.  FOr the most part, it's quite sturdy - one exception is the tall band of
red on the right hand side of the image - it's basically a tall stack of 2x4s,
sandwiched in on each end.  A good poke there will pop it out, but with due care,
I feel quite comfortable moving it, adjusting it, etc.  I try to keep it at a
pretty steep angle, in order to minimize the out-of-plane forces, too.  It did
break once, but it was more along the lines of splitting in half, easily fixed
within a couple minutes.

thanks for the comments, John!

-s