 General / 2043
Re: Bug in pause..?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 09:21:05 GMT

Jasper Janssen writes:
Todd Lehman writes:
[...]
Anyway, I'm sorry that the search feature is broken and I'll let you
know as soon as it's fixed.

No problem. Bugs happen.
I am just naturally a very, _very_ curious person, and when that
happened, well, I got very curious as to what was causing it. And I
figured I'd let you know in case you didn't know yet. You could, of
course, just kludge it to avoid -er endings...

Okie dokie, searches ending in "er" are no longer broken.  I rewrote the
character trigraph indexer...it's a bit simpler and even a bit faster.  I'm
still not truly sure why the script was getting a segmentation fault on large
stored lists in the first place (other than that "er" is the most common
ending and references several hundred matches, but it should be able to handle
tens of thousands with no problem), but it's rumored that the lowest-level DB
code I'm using isn't 100% trustworthy.  Over time I'm migrating stuff away
from it.

BTW, I just noticed this tonight:  It's kinda fun to try to "stump" the search
engine by swapping letters around...things like:

   http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=Airback+Outstrip
   http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=Scow+Snooter
   http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=Mobo+Raster
   http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=Stain+Tration