 General / 20354
Re: Liberty Green (was: Picture of the Statue of Liberty)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 15:58:04 GMT

David Schilling wrote:

In lugnet.general, Eric Kingsley writes:
In lugnet.general, Tom Stangl writes:
Pics of the color are at http://www.vfaq.com/LEGO/Legoland/Statue-of-Lib.jpg

Well the color looks really cool.  The only thing is that the model looks like
it is mostly Bricks.  There seem to be some slopes around the head and face • and
some rounds and macaroni's in the Torch and Crown.

Did anyone get a good enough look at the model to see what sort of part
breakdown we might see?

I'm pretty excited about the new "Liberty Green" colour.

I spent a bit of time examining the Statue of Liberty set, as well as asking
questions about it.  First of all, the one shown wasn't necessarily
the 'final' set.  The person I talked to said that they weren't exactly sure
whether it would be exactly like this, and they didn't know how many pieces
this set, nor the final one would actually contain.  The statue is hollow,
like all the models at LEGOLAND, and is in response to the many people who
have asked how they build models like in the park.  Now they can find out for
themselves by building one.  (I wonder how long before the replace the white
Statue of Liberty in the New York section of Miniland with a Liberty Green
one?)

The statue was 89 bricks tall, base to torch, with the top of the head around
66 bricks high.  In inches, it was 33" high base to torch, and 24 1/2" high at
the head.  The base itself was 7 1/2 inches square.  A VERY rough guess (based
on a girth of about 26 bricks near the statue's waist), gives approximately
2000 pieces for the entire set.

Most were 2xn and 1xn pieces.  Though the head and torch contained plates, and
a lot of other interesting pieces.  (Including four macaroni pieces!)

My guess is that it will run upwards of $200.  I wonder if it will be the only
source of the Liberty Green bricks, though?  Or will they also start showing
up in other sets?  Bulk purchases?  (Please!?)

The minifig they showed, by the way, was 14 1/2" tall.

--
  David Schilling

Thanks for the insightful reporting David.  Was Liberty's nose the only steep slope
(2x2x3) in that set?  I am happy that there are a few.

Gary Istok