 General / 19650
Re: Observations about new catalog
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 19:59:45 GMT

In lugnet.general, Markus Wolf writes:
I got my Summer 2000 catalog yesterday and have a few observations.

1)  Check out the minifig in the green #2 uniform on the front cover.  Why
don't they make a minifig with that facial expression?  (i'm half joking, but
I do have a point)  Besides the obvious hospitalized minifig, wouldn't he make
a great extremely worried character.  There may be 3 emotions portrayed by
standard lego people.
   A) Big Smile
   B) Major Anger
   C) Hero Poker face

With the exception of the saucy Han Solo, (which was a great lego
interpretation) there are no other emotions.  Where's sadness and fear and
confusion?

Dr. Cyber isn't 'benevolent confusion'? Or perhaps Dr. Lightning from the
Adventurers set? 8)

Actually the 'smirk' is present not only on Han Solo, but also on Johnny
Thunder (Adventurers) and the long-haired knight from Knight's Kingdom.

Anyway, I think the reason that these 'emotions' are portrayed above any
others is that they are more basic definitions of personality than they
are emotions.  Very few people are worried all the time, or confused, or
sad, or afraid.  (You'll also notice that these are 'negative' emotions,
and LEGO seems to shy away from portraying those - with the exception of
anger, it seems).

On the other hand, the 'grim and determined', 'chip on his shoulder' and
'roguish' expressions speak a lot more about the character's personality,
rather than how they are feeling at one point in time.  As for the 'big
smile' - that's the default facial expression in LEGOland.  (Sometimes
taken to extremes, like the road workers in the City Center sets, who look
like they either enjoy their jobs far too much, or they are taking the
sort of medication that means they shouldn't be operating all that heavy
machinery...)