 General / 19547
Re: Opinions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 2 Jul 2000 21:59:35 GMT

In lugnet.general, Greg Majewski writes:

The Race
sets look very bad to me. Why does one need to be able to play games with a
model in order to enjoy it?

Because one is human,  and,  therefore,  motivated by a complex collection of
instincts,  cultural values,  and individually-acquired tastes that will
partly overlap yours,  but usually diverge wildly from it in some areas.

One of the remarkable things about Lego is that it supports such a broad range
of activity:  from pure artistry,  to hard engineering,  to architectural and
mechanical modeling,  to play therapy,  to just plain "kid fun".  And it
allows people using it for one of those purposes to explore and express other
aspects of their personalities that might otherwise lie dormant.

The fact that it may only tickle some of your fancies doesn't mean there's
anything wrong with the fact that it tickles different fancies in other
people.

The Robo Riders look pretty weak. Again, why do you need to be able
to play violent games with a model in order to enjoy it?

Beats me. <shrug>  I would think you'd know better than I,  since you're the
one salivating over the swords and spears  ;-)

I have my own doubts about the RoboRiders:  shooting off an essential
functional part of the model,  instead of the "ammo" the Throwbots use,  seems
pretty iffy.  However,  it may score a first for Lego:  I picked up a copy of
"Dust" because it has lots of Technic connectors (including some uncommon
ones).  I put the model together,  just for the heck of it.  And I can see
parents of teen-aged girls lobbying to have it marked as "Recommended for ages
7-10 and 21+ only"  ;-)

Ran