 General / 19165
RE: legos biggest mistake is...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.build, lugnet.build.minifigs
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 02:55:04 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: mattdm@mattdm.org [mailto:mattdm@mattdm.org]
Sent: Monday, June 19, 2000 12:39 PM
To: lugnet.general@lugnet.com; lugnet.build@lugnet.com;
lugnet.build.minifigs@lugnet.com
Subject: Re: legos biggest mistake is...

Shiri Dori <shirid@hotmail.com> wrote:
http://www.lugnet.com/build/?n=3737

Wow. The furniture in <set:268> is really cool! (See the
brickshelf picture
at <http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/0000/0268-1979/0268-01.html>)

But, do those sets from 1979 really predate the space sets
from 1978? I do see
a minifig-as-baby in <set:208>, also from 1978, but there's
no examples of
either before that.

My conclusion is that the minifig was developed to be a
grown-up figure, but
was also adopted (no pun intended) for use a child with the
old-style big
people.

The minifig as we know it was a descendant of the 'stiffs' from 1975 [1](?).
In 1978, 'Legoland' was created which was both the begining of town and of
Castle as we know them. The minifig was also used with the maxifigs as both
a baby, and as a doll, but this was not it's original purpose. I believe the
minifigs evolved because there was a limited amount of 'playability' with
the stiffs [who were created so children could create their own towns to go
with the trucks and trains that were available] After all, a child will have
more fun with a figure they can make do something, rather than one that just
sits there.

Also, The space sets were not released until 1979, NOT 1978...at least in
Europe and Australia, I don't know about america, though....But then again,
that was samsonite, not real lego :)

[1] For example sets, see 699, 698, 664, BASIC set 722 and other sets from
those years [I'm working from memory, and don't have net access, but from
memeory these sets show the stiffs.]

Benjamin Whytcross
BWhytcro@PacificAccess.com.au
Ph: (03) 9856 5282
Directory Technology Pty Ltd
1/436 Elgar Road,
Box Hill, 3128

Growing older is compulsory..Growing up isn't :-)