 General / 18662
18661  |  18663
Subject:
Why Lego hates educators (was Re: Lego Studio)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 23:27:24 GMT

In lugnet.general, Robert Brunskill writes:
A new item on Lego's web site. Here's the link...

http://www.lego.com/studios/

The disappointing thing is that they have once again given the Mac a cold
shoulder. I would hope that the USB camera is standardized? If there is such
a thing as a standard USB digital camera?

I'm surprised at the lack of sensitivity Lego and Spielberg have shown in this
area, even though I shouldn't be. Lego has always touted itself as a foundation
in the education market, but when it comes to their computer products, TLG shows
the need to ignore educators' needs.

What science teacher wouldn't love to has his students build a robotics project
out of Lego? Too bad it can't be done in most schools.

Building an obviously eduactional product for the Windows platform ONLY is like
inviting a person that you know to be a vegetarian over to your place for a nice
juicy steak.

It's downright cruel.

TLG needs to get with the picture. Supporting the Windows platform only is a
decision made by people who haven't a clue about educators' needs. I hope they
figure this out soon. Otherwise, they might find the majority of their customers
aren't school-aged anymore. Think of the consequences to that. If kids aren't
interested in Lego (because they can't use it at school), they will find
something else to do (Pokemon comes to mind).

See if this logic pans out. You want to be 'The biggest name in children's toys
by 2005'. However, the products you sell have little appeal to children, aren't
purchased by educators for their classes, and can be used only by those with the
financial resources to purchase a Windows computer. How many 5-12 year olds will
think this is worth doing? Not many, I assure you.

Yes, I realize there are some holes in my argument. However, I'm trying to point
out that TLG's actions today could have far-reaching effects in the future. Mac
support can't be as costly as TLG seems to think it is, and the platform support
is definitely there.

Hmmm, I wonder if Megablocks makes any hybrid computer products? It's a
thought...

-Dave
http://www.jps.net/hardcore/lego/
Home of the M-tron Commandos