 General / 18710
Re: Why Lego hates educators (was Re: Lego Studio)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 4 Jun 2000 17:02:13 GMT

  Nicholas pointed out something I find to be most confusing. LEGO has Macintosh
software that controlls theMindstorms computer brick. They even have an IR tower
for serial port equiped Macs (I do not think there is any Mac support for the USB
IR tower), but there is no effort at all to let Mac users know about it.
  My letter for LEGO Consumer Services said that Mac Mindstorms software would be
ready in 1999...oh well.

Chris

"James J. Trobaugh" wrote:

Dave,

I'll have to agree with Nicholas, 90% of the "government" schools in my area are
using PC platforms now, and I think its safe to say that the percentage of homes
are also PC based. So I wouldn't group the education market and Macs together.

Even though I'm not a Mac person, I am surprised that LEGO doesn't make a Mac
version of it's software. I guess that's another reason I'm glad I don't have
one.

Just my 2 cents,

jt

Nicholas Allan wrote:

This article should probably be headed "Two-faced Nicholas Allan" (readers
of British Airways 'Business Life' magazine will understand what I mean).

I'm probably interpreting this argument wrongly, but it is fairly
apocalyptic to say that by ignoring the Macintosh format that Lego will be
somewhat stuffed.  My school has stopped using Macs and instead built a very
powerful Windows NT based network.  Obviously I am speaking from personal
experience, but I have been in other schools where the primary tool is the
Windows PC.  Watching news reports reveals a similar situation , that
Windows computers appear to be the way education is heading, certainly in
Britain.

Just to let everyone know, this isn't meant to start a "Mac vs Win" war,
it's just to illustrate that not every educator uses Macs.

And now for something slightly different.

Is it not bizarre that Lego is ignoring the Mac format?  From memory I
recall that at Legoland Windsor all the computers in the Dacta area (or
whatever it is called) that allowed one to create computer controlled models
in the days before 'Mindstorms' where Macintosh systems.  I think Lego is
perhaps lacking in a coordinated approach to the computer market in general.

Just a couple of thoughts on Lego's computing strategy.

Nicholas Allan

James J. Trobaugh
North Georgia LEGO Train Club
http://www.ngltc.org