 General / 17676
Re: Cool Score -- "Vintage" LEGO!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 01:09:51 GMT

In lugnet.general, Chris Phillips writes:
This is probably ho-hum to those of you who never experienced a Dark Age,

Never! FOTW/Ms are definitely something that's fun to share, it's always fun
to read about them and hope that I'll stumble upon one myself soon...

but
I received a really exciting gift this past weekend -- the remnants of a "too
cool for LEGO" young adult's LEGO collection.  I just came out of my Dark Age
about a year ago, so I own very few pieces that were made before the mid-90s.

I've never *really* had a Dark Ages in the usual sense; I did take a break
from lego for a year, but never gave it away... and as a matter of fact, I
don't have too much stuff that was made before the mid-90s.
(Then again, I was only 10 in the mid-90s :-)

So when my sister-in-law offered me the remnants of her eldest son's
collection, how could I resist?  (Yes, I felt a twinge of guilt about it at
first, but that passed as soon as she told me that she's had to ~GASP~ throw
away a lot of it because she couldn't store it all!)

Oh well... when he turns into an AFOL, he'll beg for them back ;-)

So I've had a huge amount of fun digging through this treasure trove of well-
worn pieces:

Right on top was the hull from a Pirate ship.  (Happily, the masts were in
there also!)

So *that's* what they look like from the top... cool!

Probably the most exciting score was a handful of
"old" (by my standards) castle figs, including a smiley Robin Hood and what I
believe is a "Forest Wench".

Oooh, lucky! I just got my own wench a few weeks ago, I love her torso!

The best, though, was when I showed it to my NLS who reacted "my brother and
have a lot more LEGO than _that_ at my parent's house."  I'm still hoping to
convince her to dig that up someday...

Good luck!

Unfortunately, the previous owner of this collection apparently ran out of
black bricks one day, because a good number of bricks have been colored in
with a magic marker.  I am having limited results cleaning this off with
rubbing alcohol and an old toothbrush, but I would appreciate any cleaning
tips/suggestions that anyone might have...?

Try Brasso. Search for it on the lugnet main page and you'll come up with
numerous tips about how to  use it.

The previous owner also had no qualms about removing hands/arms/legs/heads
from minifigs, so most of the small pieces are missing from the 'figs.  I
have
several headless, armless torsos from the Space, Pirate, and Town themes, so
now I've gotta hurry up and build a hospital (or maybe just a cemetary) in
WhistleStop.

LOL! Sadly, I never had qualms 'bout that either... I found myself regretting
that 5 years later...

But
it's amazing how with a little bit of training, you can learn to spot a
single
MegaBlok in a whole bin of LEGO.

Yeah, a noticed that while poing through my baby-sittees collection... a ton
of cool stuff, but a handful of off-brands are very noticable.

I also anticipate asking a lot of "what set did this piece come from"
questions on LUGNET over the next few weeks as I dig through the bin, so I
hope you'll all bear with me...

Sure! Congrats on your find, and good luck in the future! (I'm offering that
to myself too... :o)

-Shiri