 General / 17667
Re: Cool Score -- "Vintage" LEGO!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 22:50:32 GMT

Chris,

collection, how could I resist?  (Yes, I felt a twinge of guilt about it • at
first, but that passed as soon as she told me that she's had to ~GASP~ • throw
away a lot of it because she couldn't store it all!)

Never feel guilty. Assimulating captive bricks into your collective is
always a great joy!

So I've had a huge amount of fun digging through this treasure trove of • well-
worn pieces:

The best, though, was when I showed it to my NLS who reacted "my brother • and I
have a lot more LEGO than _that_ at my parent's house."  I'm still hoping • to
convince her to dig that up someday...

Heh, my fiancee's  brother finally gave in, after 7 years of pleading. : )

Unfortunately, the previous owner of this collection apparently ran out of
black bricks one day, because a good number of bricks have been colored in
with a magic marker.  I am having limited results cleaning this off with
rubbing alcohol and an old toothbrush, but I would appreciate any cleaning
tips/suggestions that anyone might have...?

Brasso. Use LUGNET's search engine.

The previous owner also had no qualms about removing hands/arms/legs/heads
from minifigs, so most of the small pieces are missing from the 'figs.  I • have
several headless, armless torsos from the Space, Pirate, and Town themes, • so
now I've gotta hurry up and build a hospital (or maybe just a cemetary) in
WhistleStop.

Might be valuable to some. : )

I also found to my horror that a small percentage of what was in the bin • was
not LEGO!  Sure, there was the usual suspects -- parts from other games • and
toys (Risk, dominoes, chess pieces...) and random bits of modelling clay, • but
these are easy to remove.  Far more dangerous are the "imposter" bricks • that
I've found in there -- Brio, MegaBloks, and Tomy to name just a few... • But
it's amazing how with a little bit of training, you can learn to spot a • single
MegaBlok in a whole bin of LEGO.

Yes sir! I found that a lot as well. I just have a separate bag for that
stuff.

Anyway, I thought I'd mention this experience for the benefit of other • AFOLs
who might not own any older pieces themselves.  After the fun I've had • this
week, I'm definitely going to visit a lot of yard sales this spring • looking
for LEGO in order to increase the diversity of my young collection.  It • has
been a very interesting and educational experience looking through some • older-
vintage LEGO for a change.

Yes indeed. I found very few sales nowadays, however. I am still looking.
: )

I also anticipate asking a lot of "what set did this piece come from"
questions on LUGNET over the next few weeks as I dig through the bin, so I
hope you'll all bear with me...

Hey, I always enjoy blattering about LEGO rather than changing duct work
though chases for the 17th time! : )
Have fun!

Scott S.
--