 General / 17162
Re: What is it about the brick that has us hooked?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 01:28:50 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

When I was younger, I dreamed of building big things.  I always ran out of
bricks.  Now, as an adult who brings home a paycheck, I can just go get some
more.  That's at least part of why I am hooked: The ability to realise my
dreams!

Build On!
John Matthews

Bill Farkas <kfar@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
I don't know if everyone else went through this, but when I came out of my
dark-ages and started buying mass quantities of plastic bits marked for • ages
5-12...I kinda felt like a misfit. I couldn't help but feel somewhat • childish
or immature, I mean, here I am a married man with kids of my own and I'm
playing with a children's toy! When I found other AFOL's on the internet I • was
so relieved that I wasn't alone in the universe.

Yet, what is it about these little ABS blocks that renews the infatuation • with
them after years of forgetting about them? What is it that makes them so
addictive to us as adults? I speculated once that there might be some
trans-dermal absorbtion of ABS that gets into our bloodstreams that keeps • us
hooked. If I'm not mistaken though, it seems that there are more male • AFOLs
than female, correct? I commented in .castle the other day that I think • they
are attractive to us as adults because the constant acquisition of "more" • is
kind of goal oriented, providing a level of purpose outside of our • professional
lives; also the competitive nature of trying to build the biggest, bestest • MOC
(or even most creative/unique) ever is appealing.

These are just a few things I came up with. So what is it? Why is the • brick so
appealing to you? What's got you hooked?

"I'm NOT PLAYING, I'm CREATING!!"
Bill