 General / 17115
Re: Part IDs needed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 14:58:28 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Whytcross, Benjamin wrote:

G'day,

I've got the following parts, and I can't seem to find what sets they are
from. Any help regarding the sets, and if possible, inventories of these
sets would be appreciated.

Part 1:
white 1x8 brick with 'GARAGE' in thin black text, taking the equivalent of
the centre 1x4 section.

There are several '50s and '60s sets that had garage sign.  It came as part of
a parts pack from that period, or part of a garage kit - the flip door variety
that opened when you press down on the plate in front.  Check these out:

http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=236

Part 2:
white 4x8 plate with one corner curved off [curve taken out of 4x4 end
section]. This piece has a 'latice' type base instead of cylinders, and has
an older style 'LEGO' moulding on studs.

These plates were made during the '50s and the '60s.  They were used in many
sets from that era.  They came in a parts pack back then.  In Europe it was
parts pack #227, which had 5 large white plates - (2) 4x8 left curve, (2) 4x8
right curve, and (1) 2x8 regular plate.  In the USA/Canada the Samsonite parts
pack from the early '60s was called #227/R and #227/L, with 10 plates in each
pack (9 in Canada).

One set that had these curved plates was the Esso Service Station set 309,
which had these curved bricks used along with the curved quarter circle
"macaroni" bricks.  Another set (307) had the curves used as part of a VW
dealership.  Here are the LUGNET search on these sets:

http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=227

Part 3:
2 clear/smokey 2x2 plates attatched by thin plastic 'rod'. Plates have no
way of connecting to parts below them, but have studs on top.

Back in the '60s when they first produced LEGO wheels (starting in 1962), these
little milky clear pieces were used to hold train cars, or cars & trailers
together.  They usually came in any set that had those wheels with gray tires.
These pieces had such a narrow "thread" holding the two 2x2 plate type pieces
together, that they frequently broke, or got bent.  I couldn't find a picture
of these anywhere.

Gary Istok

Benjamin Whytcross

BWhytcro@PacificAccess.com.au