 General / 16719
Re: I just died and went to lego heaven...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 04:41:31 GMT

In lugnet.general, Sheree Rosenkrantz writes:

Shiri Dori <shirid@hotmail.com> wrote in message
(1) what can I do, my posts start out as speech at first. I don't know if
it's
just me, but I tend to think in english in a certain way... probably
because
I'm an ESLer (2). I sort of "talk" first and then "listen" to myself when
posting on lugnet, because I can't think of too many things in english at
once... ;-)

(2) You'll notice I sometimes write in different style than americans, or
say
weird things. I also put way too many dashes in my sentences, so my
english
teacher says... That's because I just moved to the US this september.

Shiri, you just moved this Sept.?  You are amazing! Your English is very
very good.

Well, I did live here when I was 3-6. So it's not like it's all new to me.
Still rough at times, though.

You think ... that 's more than many people do ...

I'll quote my math teacher on his favorite line:
"Thinking is *HARD*!"

and you can
think in 2 languages(&compute in 2 languages).  You know technical as well
as common usage words.

But thinking in two languages is so much harder than thinking in one. You have
to think twice as much! :-)
Also, when I came to the US I had a really tough time. I failed the math
honors test just because I didn't know the terminology - heck, I didn't know
what a hypotenuse was! (I knew what it WAS, just not by that name; thus I
failed to understand the question as a whole). I was stuck in classes where
all the material was review to me, both in math, physics and chem (yes I take
both physics and chem which made it even harder - although I understood the
material and was even bored by it, I couldn't keep up with the amounts of work
given.)

Your grammar is probably better than mine.

I wouldn't bet on it ;-)

Everyone
writes in a different style.  Uniformity is boring.

Now, I wish my teacher would believe that! (j/k :-)

I enjoy all your posts
and your webpage is so creative and fun.

Thanks!

I have trouble just figuring out
how to find the strand to post to  and in fact this is even the exact one I
was looking for to respond to, but it will do.  My very first post was to
belville.  It went out 4 times.  You were so sweet.  Your response was "what
happened here?" not who is this idiot (which was the way I felt).

Aw, c'mon... you're no idiot!
By the way, I don't know how you read lugnet but you might find it easier to
use the web interface; or maybe you might prefer the NNTP, or mail
subscription. It's all personal prefrences, I guess.

It helped
make me feel I could pick myself and just keep bumbling/stumbling along.
Don't be hard on yourself...  Yes, you fit at lugnet and you make newbies
like me feel welcome here too.

Thanks! I'm always glad to help... it's nice to feel needed :-)

-Shiri