 General / 16550
Re: eBay and sales tax?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 18 Mar 2000 05:35:00 GMT

In lugnet.general, Kevin Wilson writes:
Bruce DUncan wrote:
I was just surfing through eBay, when I came across a person charging sales
tax in addition to the usual S&H on lots.  Is this usual?  It seems really • odd
to tax someone on a previously taxed, resale item.  I was just wondering if
anyone else had an opinion on this.

If he's registered as a business, then he has to charge sales tax to
buyers in his state. I have to charge GST to Canadian buyers, and
Provincial Sales Tax to buyers in my province. Because I do so few sales
here compared to those in the US and overseas, I mostly just eat it
rather than put it in my listings, but I guess I should for things which
might go for high prices like large sets where I wouldn't want to eat
that much tax.

Shiri, chances are he's not just pocketing it: after all, it probably
reduces the number of bidders he gets, so it's not to his advantage to
put it in the listing.

Hmm... didn't think of it that way. I'm not too familiar with North American
tax issues... which is why I said I don't wanna jump to conclusions ;-)

-Shiri