 General / 16405
Re: Game Developer Conference
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 02:29:45 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Ralph Hempel writes:
_Best_ thing is a "Scripting language":
-in addition to the GUI environment
-the programs are written in text editor
-can be exchanged back and forth between GUI
-allows programs to be easily posted on web, etc.

Did they imply that they actually had a "scripting language"
or are they just talking about assembler here?

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

They didn't mention what type of language it was, but they called it
a "scripting language" a number of times.  There was no indication given as to
the level of language, and I didn't think to ask.  It might be high level, or
it might be assembly level.  I was thinking higher level (NQC, for example)
when they were talking about it, but they didn't actually say.

What they did say was that it was intended for older people, while the GUI was
for kids.  They said that whatever you write in it can be viewed IN the GUI,
as well as whatever you create in the GUI can be viewed as a script.  I got
the impression that you would be able to do this (switching back and forth)
directly from the environment.  That is, that you wouldn't have to exit the
program, and start up Notepad.  Though that's also just an impression, not a
direct statement.

They also mentioned that they hadn't quite decided what to do with comment
blocks in the GUI yet, probably they'd just display it as a generic block.
And I picked up just a hint that there might be some other constructs that
might not be viewable in the GUI other than a generic block, though again,
that might be my subjective interpretation, and not an actual fact.

--
  David Schilling