 General / 16203
Re: Has anyone ever made a walking robot?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 16:58:38 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jonathan Wilson writes:
Has anyone ever made a robot out of lego that can walk the same way as
humans do?

I've been thinking about this, and a lot depends on how you define "the way
humans walk".  If you want to be really picky, humans have a pretty
sophisticated (by lego standards) feedback system of nereves and muscles and
inner ears which keeps them upright.  It's not a simple repetetive mechanical
motion.  That's where I always get stuck when I start to make a bipedal walker.
It's not hard to model the mechanics of a knee or hip joint, but ankles and
feet are particularly tricky.  Just try to stand on one foot with your hands
behind your back and you'll discover how much human posture depends on ankles
and feet.

-Phil