 General / 16178
Re: Cleaning discolored white bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 04:14:02 GMT

Hey, I'm no expert!  I just got some Brasso about a week ago.

It does take a long time, but a half hour is WAY too long.

I found that you have to use a CLEAN surface.  If its dirty, it doesn't seem
to work.  I started with a rag, but it got crap all over it (I was removing
graphics).  So, then I went to a combination of toilet paper (cheap) and
Q-tips.

Actually, the discoloring came off pretty easily.  It was the graphics that
took a while.  It is possible that you have worse problems than I do.  Its
definitely not a process that you can use on a massive scale.

I'm sure that any tool will work.  I'd try it on a less valuable brick first
just in case it scratches.  It seems like if you had a motorized shoe
polisher or something, that this would work (or maybe an old mechanical
toothbrush?).  Anyhow, if you find anything better, then let me know!

Brasso appears to work like auto-polish.  If you put it on, let it dry, and
THEN rub it off, it has more of an effect.  This also leaves it with the
best finish.

As far as translucent windows, I have the following advice:

- Some people claim that Brasso causes "moire" patterns in clear bricks.  I
used it on several bricks and did not see this problem.  You must let the
last coat of Brasso dry and THEN rub it off to get it to come off properly.
- I tried it on some older Space Police bricks for removing graphics and it
worked really well.  The parts look like new.  However, I'm not sure if
these had a heck of a lot of scratches.
- I tried it on some prized, but terribly scratched paradisa bubble windows.
It seemed to make the windows shine a little more, but any lessening of
scratches seemed debatible.  In theory, if you do it enough, it should
polish out the more minor scratches (just like car polish does for your
car).  Anyhow, I haven't had time to do a more extensive job on these.  It
certainly did not seem to damage such bricks more.

I hope that helps.  If you have any additional tips, let me know!

Andrew Knowles <powerone@slic.com> wrote in message
Brad, I'm hoping you read this.  IT WORKS!!!!!!!!  I was in a state of • shock
but the brasso works.  A couple of questions though:  1)  Is it possible • to
clean them any faster, perhalps with a tool or scrub brush?  I was rubbing • some
bricks for a good half hour using a regular rag. 2)  Will it remove the
scratches off faded translucent windows?   Thanks for the help.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Power on,

Andrew