 General / 15454
Re: First appearances of colours
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 16:00:42 GMT

Paul Davidson wrote:

I was thinking about Lego colours today (I remember when we documented some
38 of them not long ago), and wondering when the first appearances of many
occurred...especially since the number grew a lot during my Dark Ages.  Here
are a few I'm wondering about:

1.  dark grey -- the swords of early castle lego?  (c. 1985)
2.  brown -- spears and wagon-wheels of early castle lego?  (c. 1985)
3.  gold -- pirate system?  (c. 1989)
4.  orange -- Halloween buckets  (c. 1998)
5.  purple -- Star Wars???  (c. 1999)
6.  transparent grey -- Star Wars (c. 1999)
7.  transparent light blue -- ???
8.  tan -- Adventurers?

--

Paul Davidson, aka Tinman
www.theforce.net |  Your Daily Dose of Star Wars

And lest we forget the original colors.....

Red, white, blue and yellow and clear bricks have been around since the 50's.

The first occurrance of gray was the 10x20 gray baseplate in the 50's.  But the
first occurrance of gray and black bricks was in 1963 with the advent of LEGO
plates.  The first sets (besides parts packs) to have gray and black were the
continental European Architectural sets (750, 751, 752) from 1963-65.

Green also first came out in a 10x20 baseplate probably before 1961.  The first
occurrance of green in a set was the USA/Canada only green plates, which came
out in 1963 in parts packs 518 (2x4) , 519 (2x3) , 520 (2x2) , 521 (1x1 & 1x2).
These early plates were Cellulose Acetate, the only time green bricks can be
found in that material.  These were not available in Europe.

Gary Istok