 General / 14442
Re: Haunted Houses- Im Open to suggestions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 19:40:05 GMT

Farlie A wrote:

In lugnet.general, Mike Clemens writes:
In lugnet.general, Alex Farlie writes:

- Black cats, bats, spiders, scorpions, and ghosts...
Cats yes, bats yes, scorpions?

Re: scorpions -- perhaps it's a soutwestern (U.S.) haunted house.  :-)

(Mouldings...?)  and ghosts defintly-
Minifig or Castle?

Castle ghosts -- with chains!
Yes!- I mean TLG's got the chainb moulding in Rock Raiders.

- A bedroom in a tower, reachable by a loooong dark staircase...

Not juniorized tower part though.-  Their horrfic on thier own!!!

LOL!  "The AFOL Tower of Dread!"  A Timmy Minifig chained to a BURP!  :-)

- Torches in the walls...
Or Gas lighting?

That works, too -- open flame == scary, esp. when you're made of plastic.  ;-)

Remid me of  the film 'House of Wax'. Never seen it mind.

- Mike

OK, now for some architectural ideas.  Alex since you're in the UK, I'll give you
an American perspective and a British perspective:

American ---   An American haunted house would probably be tall, perhaps 3
stories.  Picture Victorian American, with a steep pitched Mansard roof (via steep
slopes) with single dormer windows at regular intervals.  There should be a tower,
either a) at & above the main entrance (to give it a foreboding look), or b) at a
corner of the house, also of a Mansard type roof (with perhaps a 2x2x2 steep sloped
roof pyramid).  The roofline of the house should have a cornice (perhaps 1x2
inverse slopes  sticking out over the eves at regular intervals), and it should be
of a different color from that of the masonry skin of the house.  The house can
also have a large wraparound porch.  The house in the Addams Family movie (or TV
show) can serve as an example, if you are familiar with it.

British - An English haunted house should be a large manor type house, perhaps in a
Gothic, Tudor, Elizabethan, or Jacobean style.  It should be a rambling 3 or 4
story house with several wings.  It should have mullioned windows (good luck
finding any of those old 1x1x1 or 1x1x2 windows), tall ornate chimneys, oriel
windows, some half-timbered sections, and a tall medieval tower.  Examples of this
type of house in England would be  Cragside, Sandringham, Fonthill Abbey and
Strawberry Hill.   Examples of this type of house in the USA would be Lyndhurst,
Builtmore, and Collinwood (from the old Dark Shadows TV series).

The one problem I see with any haunted house is that the LEGO window selection
currently available is not all that great for building a decent haunted house.  The
1x2x2 is OK, but doesn't make for a very scary window, and the 1x4x3 window with
frames... ditto.  Of the 9 classic window varieties, only the large 1x6x3 picture
window would not be appropirate for a haunted house.  I've been dropping not so
subtle hints for LEGO Direct to reintroduce the classic window varieties again (or
even come out with some new varieties that we can use modularly.  Currently only 1
of nine classic styles is still in production (the 1x2x2).

Well I've rambled long enough,

Gary Istok