 General / 14316
Re: LEGO wins an award!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 14:12:35 GMT

Farlie A wrote:

Acording to METRO here in London ,UK. Lego(R) has been voted toy of the century
by a leading associaton of toy reatilers.

The article also claimed that Lego was invented in 1932 and introduced to
britan in 1955.

Alex

I just read the article, but there are a few slight discrepancies.  First of all,
1932 was the year Ole Kirk Cristiansen (current LEGO Chairman KKK's grandfather)
started making wooden toys and called them "LEGO", which translates to "play well"
in Danish.  The wooden toys continued on until a factory fire in 1960.  In 1949,
they introduced the Automatic Binding Bricks, the precursor to LEGO as we know it.
In 1953, the company introduced "LEGO Mürsten" or LEGO bricks, and the rest is
history.

The other discrepancy I believe is the year LEGO bricks became available in the
UK.  That would be 1960, not 1955.  I just recently got a scan of the very first UK
LEGO catalog (1960) from a very knowledgeable collector of UK LEGO, by the name of
Phil Traviss.

Gary Istok