 General / 14271
    How do you copyright your own work? —Christopher Masi
   Is it as simple as saying, "I took the picture; therefore, it is copyrighted by me," or is it a more invovled legal process like patenting? The thread about plagiarism started me thinking about it. Chris (24 years ago, 29-Jan-00, to lugnet.general)

        Re: How do you copyright your own work? —Steve Hodge
     (...) IANAL, but I believe that you automatically have a fair amount of copyright protection under most countries laws. That said, if you got into a dispute with someone over who did what you might find yourself having trouble proving you're the (...) (24 years ago, 29-Jan-00, to lugnet.general)

        Re: How do you copyright your own work? —Gene C. Weissinger
     In the US - if you take a photograph of something it is AUTOMATICALLY copyrighted, however....You cannot publish it without the permission of any people in the photo.... I am not a lawyer either - but an avid photographer... Gene. (24 years ago, 29-Jan-00, to lugnet.general)

         Re: How do you copyright your own work? —Mark Cornell
     To be protected by copyright, a work must be an original work of authorship fixed in any tangible medium of expression. A work of authorship is not limited to writings, but includes music, motion pictures, sound recordings, pictorial works and (...) (24 years ago, 1-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

         Re: How do you copyright your own work? —Johannes Keukelaar
     "MC" == Mark Cornell <mcornell@chi.tds.net> writes: MC> Fixed in a tangible medium means it must be embodied in a copy (in MC> plain English, you can touch it). Something else that has come up here, for example in the Maersk case, is purely digital (...) (24 years ago, 1-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

         Re: How do you copyright your own work? —Mark Cornell
     Absolutely. I posted a watered down version of the law to keep it short. Fixed in a tangible medium basicly means that it exists for a period over time. You must be able to view it at some point later in time. Information is encoded in digital (...) (24 years ago, 1-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

        Re: How do you copyright your own work? —Frank Filz
      Christopher Masi wrote in message <389280F9.9614A862@c...ne.edu>... (...) An arrangement of bricks would in most cases not be copyrightable. A design patent would be what would protect it. However, if your creation reaches the point of being a (...) (24 years ago, 29-Jan-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: How do you copyright your own work? —Christopher Masi
   Thank you for all your responses. Sincerely, Chris (...) (24 years ago, 29-Jan-00, to lugnet.general)