 General / 14393
Re: How do you copyright your own work?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 23:56:39 GMT

Absolutely. I posted a watered down version of the law to keep it short. Fixed in a
tangible medium basicly means that it exists for a period over time. You must be
able to view it at some point later in time. Information is encoded in digital
format is acceptable and the copyright statute covers that circumstance (hence the
protection for computer software).

A digital rendering of a Lego model is covered by copyright, and if you latter
built the model, it would also be covered by a different copyright (technically as
a deriviative work).

Regards,

Mark Cornell

Johannes Keukelaar wrote:

"MC" == Mark Cornell <mcornell@chi.tds.net> writes:

MC> Fixed in a tangible medium means it must be embodied in a copy (in
MC> plain English, you can touch it).

Something else that has come up here, for example in the Maersk case,
is purely digital pictures. If I, for example, create a digital model
of some creation using Lego elements, then make a digital picture of
that which I put on the web, would that be 'fixed in a tangible
medium'? Let's assume that I never actually build the creation with
physical Lego elements. Would the floppy disk that I could copy my
digital picture onto count as a tangible medium? It seems likely that
it would count as such, but perhaps this is a good thing to state
explicitly.

Regards,

Johannes.
--
It's a good thing money can't buy happiness. We couldn't stand the commercials.

Bibliovorous chocophiliac.