 General / 13968
13967  |  13969
Subject:
LEGO should reissue some classic windows.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 18:34:20 GMT

Dear Brad Justus,

I have mentioned before (ad nauseum), but it would be nice if LEGO
re-issued some of their classic windows (originally produced from 1957
to the late 1970s).

Here are some reasons:

1) the 1x1x1, 1x1x2 and 1x2x1 small classic windows are great for
historic buildings, and even houses.  The "6 over 6" and "12 over 12"
windows of the early American (and modern) era could be recreated this
way.  Also building medieval windows would be greatly enhanced by the
use of large quantities of the 1x1x1 small windows.  These produce the
great mullioned windows of the medieval, Tudor and Elizabethan eras.

2) the 1x3x2 and 1x4x2 larger windows also would be great if they were
re-issued.  They have been discontinued since their disappearance from
the standard windows parts pack in the 1980's.  These windows make for
great skyscraper windows (along with the still in production 1x2x2
windows) and  can also make good picture windows (together with the
smaller 1x windows).  I also would to see re-issued the 1x6x2 large 3
pane windows, but if these other two types are reissued, then this
window can be nearly recreated by putting 3 of the other types together
(although the 1x6x3 is a composite of (1) 1x3x2, and (2) 1x1½x2 windows
- the last type obviously doesn't exist as a separate entity).

3) the 1x6x3 large picture window would also be nice if re-issued.  The
only windows 6 studs wide (1x6x5) are rarely issued, especially in
common colors (they usually are brown, black, sometimes blue, with
yellow a rare color from the 80's).

4) the least likely classic era windows/doors are the 1x6x2 shuttered
windows, and the 1x2x3 classic door.  The shuttered windows are
available as separate pieces today (1x2x2 windows with separate shutters
(and shutter hinged bricks).  The classic doors are the least likely,
partly because they are not compatible with the minifig.  But even if
they were re-issued, there are AFOLs who (like myself) will buy this up
in quanitity, if produced.

I think the bottom line is this, the current selection of LEGO windows
is rather limited by size, and especially by variety.

And if these were ever re-issued, it would be great to get them colors
besides red and white (although I wouldn't complain if they were the
only colors).

Thanks for listening Brad,

Gary Istok
AFOL since 1960.